Monday, April 20, 2009

Efforts to understand Jena. My school is segregated but how can I change that?

We humans cling to similarity. At the same time, I don%26#039;t really know how to relate TO make new friends of a diff race. I live in Los Angeles and in my school it is kind of segregated but we would never! Any ideas?





FACTS- 6 black kids beat one white kid. If the town does not have a problem then why did these incidents occur?





One of the black kids jumped at a party by white kids.





someone assaulted the black kids with a sawed off shotgun.


The black kids disarmed their attacker and called the police. they were charged with burglary for taking his gun.





nooses hung from a tree. That%26#039;s a problem.


Sheriff was brought into the high school to address the incident but instead let the black kids know,%26quot; I could change your lives with a stroke of my pen.%26quot; Translation- know your place boy. At Bell’s trial, the jury was composed of his previous attackers and their family members.


The judge allowed the prosecutor to argue his shoe was a deadly weapon.





F.Y.I.

Efforts to understand Jena. My school is segregated but how can I change that?
The whole Jena thing is ridiculous. I hope this exposes the racist ______s who think they run that town!





As for integrating your school, I think that is a noble idea. Why not USE the Jena 6 controversy to bring in some speakers from the community? Make sure to focus on racial harmony. Maybe the theme could be %26quot;Letting the past go%26quot; or %26quot;Living together in the new century%26quot; or something. I think we need to educate all young people about what%26#039;s happened in the past so those same mistakes are not made again, but we also can%26#039;t all harbor the resentment of the past. Ask people to look beyond the color of someone%26#039;s skin and get to know a person as an individual member of the human race.





Maybe the theme could be %26quot;Take a chance.%26quot; :)





Talk to your school counselors or your principal to get things organized. :) See if parents or teachers groups will help support the event(s).





Good luck! :)



loan

No comments:

Post a Comment