Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Can someone paraphrase this poem for me?

CINDERELLA





My step-sisters are willing


to cut off their toes for him.





What would I do for those days


when I played alone


in the hazel tree over my mother%26#039;s grave?


I would go backwards if I could


and stay in that moment when the doves


fluttered down with the golden gown.





But everything has changed.


I trace his form in the ashes,


and then sweep it away before they see.





He%26#039;s been on parade with that shoe.


All Prince, with heralds and entourage,


they come trumpeting through the village.





If he found me, would he recognise me,


my face, after mistaking their feet for mine?





I want to crawl away


into my pigeon house, my pear tree.


The world is too large, bright like a ballroom


and then suddenly dark.





Mother, no one prepared me for this –


for the soft heat of a man%26#039;s neck when he dances


or the thickness of his arms.





Gwen Strauss

Can someone paraphrase this poem for me?
You are unclear if you want each stanza paraphrased or the general idea.





The girl - Cinderella, is longing for her days of innocence when she knew nothing of men. Now the prince is going around trying the glass slipper on all the women, and her step sisters are willing to mutilate themselves for the priveledge of fitting in the shoe and she doesn%26#039;t understand that.


She longs for her mother to talk to about the feelings she has about the feel of being ina man%26#039;s arms, and the strength and differences of his body.


She wants to be with him, but is scared of all the newness of it.
Reply:Your definatley from Ireland where the nuns teach sex-education as parents are oblidged to drag their kids to these seminars and are not allowed to talk about birds and bees in their own house. The fact you know you have been hood winked is a start Long live the revolution



myspace quizzes

No comments:

Post a Comment